Currently available for £999.00 from Amazon.co.uk
ProForm SMART Power 10.0 Indoor Cycle Review
The current Proform range has something for just about every kind of domestic buyer of exercise bikes you can think of. From entry-level models squarely aimed at those that just want something to use two or three times a week to help them lose a few pounds, through to models aimed at those that have decided they’re determined to transform themselves into the picture of health and fitness, and more or less everyone in between. We decided to take a look at one of their premium models, the Proform SMART Power 10.0 indoor cycle to see what you get when you splash the cash with them.
Assembly, as we’ve long since come to expect from a Proform bike, is a simple and straightforward process thanks to a clear and easy to follow manual. Once assembled it looks good with a sleek black colour scheme featuring a dash of silver and red, while a 10″ touch-screen console adds some flair.
There are plenty of adjustments in the handlebars and saddle to just about guarantee a good riding position regardless of one’s height. The saddle is very sporty and not particularly wide or padded (though there is padding) which is very much standard for this type of bike. The pedals have toe clips and are sporty as well in keeping with everything else. The action on the Power 10.0 is silky-smooth, quiet and very stable throughout the cycle. No doubt that’s down to the 12kg inertia-enhanced flywheel which does a great job of making this feel every bit a premium machine. The handlebars have several grip positions making getting comfortable easy and there’s also an emergency stop button front and centre so if you do ever need to stop that heavy flywheel in a hurry all it takes is a quick push and you’re at a standstill.
The console on the Pro 10.0 is very good. At 10 inches it’s more than large enough to effectively display your training data and the workout videos simultaneously and it also swivels which comes in handy, when you’re performing a workout that requires you to dismount and carry out floor exercises before re-mounting and continuing your ride. The interface is intuitive and it’s easy enough to find your way around the menus making it quite user-friendly. There are some free video workouts to choose from but if you want access to the whole, extensive, library you’ll need to subscribe to iFit. These videos are categorised in the same way as traditional onboard workouts eg weight loss, cardio, endurance and so on, making it easy to select the type of workout you want. Once selected, the video is then streamed to the console. It’s worth noting that you do need a fast WiFi connection to get a smooth experience. We found the videos to be well structured, entertaining and certainly effective.
The Pro 10.0 comes with a 30-day family membership subscription to iFit which gives you access to the full library of videos but also helps you to plan a full fitness schedule. You can also race against other iFit members and map out your own cycling routes on Google maps. It does a lot more besides but suffice to say that iFit is a comprehensive ecosystem that revolves around staying fit and healthy and includes elements such as dietary and sleep advice. You do need to take out a paid subscription once the first 30 days are up to keep using it however so bear this in mind before committing to the bike. To get the most out of the Pro 10.0, you’ll need to commit to an iFit membership too.
The Pro 10.0 also features a water bottle holder, a pair of 1kg dumbells that have a special holder behind the saddle, a Bluetooth Smart wireless heart rate receiver, a pair of 2″ stereo speakers, leg levellers and transport wheels (very handy as this bike weighs 55kg!). The Pro 10.0 is also covered by Proform’s 2-year on-site parts and labour warranty.
So, what do we think? Well, we like it. This is a good bike and Proform really has delivered here. The only reason we're not recommending it is that the NordicTrack S10i is currently on offer and available for just a bit more. The S10i comes out of the same factory as the Proform model and for your extra cash you get everything you get on the Proform model but you also get a motorised -10% to 20% decline/incline system , a higher max user weight and cooling fan which we think is well worth the bit extra as teh difference the incline/decline system makes on iFit is huge. If you're not fussed about the interactive element, then we'd recommend taking a look at the DKN EMB-600 which is a different type of model but one that really delivers. There's more than one reason it's one of our top picks this month.
ProForm SMART Power 10.0 Specifications
- 12kg (26.4lbs) Inertia Enhanced Flywheel
- 22 digitals levels of SMR Silent™ Magnetic Resistance with QuickTouch buttons on the console
- Console Display: 10” multi-colour touch display (plus horizontal console adjustment available)
- Console Feedback: Time, speed, distance, pulse, watts, calories, RPM – several display modes are available for displaying selected training information
- Quick Stop Braking available
- Programs: above 50 video workout ready for use, and a daily map (all of them and iFit® technology requires Wi-Fi connection)
- Interactivity: iFit® Coach Enabled (30-day family subscription included)
- Heart Rate Measurement: Bluetooth® Smart wireless heart rate receiver (chest strap optional)
- Ergonomic and padded with horizontally and vertically adjustable racing seat
- Pedals: ergonomic with toe clips and adjustable straps
- Extras: water bottle holder, two 1kg (2.2lbs) dumbbells, levelling feet, wheels for transportation, front-mounted
- Audio: dual 2” speakers plus music port for mp3/iPod
- Non-slip, multi-position handlebar with vertical adjustment
- Product dimensions (L x W x H): 143cm (56.3‘’) x 56cm (22‘’) x 139cm (54.7‘’)
- Product weight: 55kg (121.3lbs)
- Max. User weight: 115kg (253.5lbs)
- Power: mains
- Warranty: 2 years frame, parts and labour (if registered within 28 days of purchase)
ProForm SMART Power 10.0 Indoor Cycle - Console / Display Unit
ProForm SMART Power 10.0 Indoor Cycle - User Reviews
- Build quality is good
- Personal trainer-led workouts are engaging and effective
- You need to have a good WiFi signal and a fast internet connection to get a smooth experience
- A paid iFit subscription is a must to get the most out of this bike
Currently available for £999.00 from Amazon.co.uk
Also see our Exercise Bike Comparison Table
Whilst every effort is made to give you accurate information we cannot guarantee the technical specification. Models change on a regular basis and may differ slightly from the above review. We recommend you contact the retailer if you have a question regarding technical data. Please read our Legal Disclaimer