Currently available for £899.00 from NordicTrack
NordicTrack GX 4.6 Pro Exercise Bike Review
NordicTrack is not a brand known for sitting on its laurels, even though it does have some sizeable laurels to sit on! When we spotted that the NordicTrack GX4.6 Pro out interest was piqued and we had to take a closer look. Here’s what we found.
With a footprint of 110.7cm x 63.2cm (43.6” x 24.9”) and weighing in at 47kg the GX4.6 Pro is a substantial bike. Despite this, the assembly process is simple and took us less than an hour. It’s a good looking bit of kit when built and looks slick thanks to the 7″ full-colour touchscreen console display.
Ergonomically, this is a good, solid bike. There’s a sensible amount of adjustment available so the riding position remains comfortable and technically sound even for very differently sized individuals. This is a testament to the knowledge that NordicTrack possesses when it comes to building exercise bikes. The saddle is gel-padded while the pedals are nice and large making this model suitable for a wide range of users.
The console, as mentioned earlier, has a 7″ touch-screen display at its heart but NordicTrack has been savvy enough to retain the physical buttons for the most important in-workout functions; resistance adjustment +/-, cooling fan control and most importantly the one-touch quick resistance keys. Those one-touch keys mean that you can select your desired resistance level with the single press of a button making changes quick and easy during a workout. It delivers a smooth response to your commands and if you’re into your interval and high-intensity training you’ll appreciate that all the more. It’s a system that works and it has to be said the top level of resistance is tougher than we’re used to seeing on similar models and certainly much harder than a lot of bikes out there. NordicTrack has also left the sound level control for your music on a physical button too, which makes controlling the volume in the middle of your workout easier than trying to touch the screen with sweaty fingers.
Aside from these functions, all other operations including programme selection are carried out via the touch-screen interface. Unlike most other exercise bikes however, the GX 4.6 Pro requires a WiFi internet connection in order to access the workouts (though you can exercise in manual mode without one). The reason for this requirement is because the workouts here are not a set of preset programmes built-into the console itself. Instead, there’s a selection of workout videos to choose from which are streamed to the bike as and when required. The videos are fun with a personal trainer guiding you through each session and helping to motivate you throughout the workout. The videos are categorised in the same way as traditional programmes with videos that focus on weight loss, or cardio improvement and so on so it’s a simple task to pick out the kind of workout you want. This is something that’s bound to appeal if you find it hard to stick to an exercise programme.
The GX4.6 Pro is being sold including a 1-year Family membership for iFit® Coach which gives you access to a vast library of more than 160000 additional workout videos as well as Google Maps based rides that you can create yourself. It also gives you access to a myriad of other features including races against other members, dietary and sleep advice and a lot more.
There’s also a tablet holder, a Bluetooth® smart wireless receiver (refreshingly a chest strap is included), dual speed cooling fan, stereo speakers, a water bottle holder and a 5-year frame, 2-year parts and labour warranty as well.
The NordicTrack GX 4.6 Pro is a good exercise bike. It's got a comfortable saddle, provides a solid riding position and has a LOT of different ways to train. It features a huge range of effective and engaging high-quality video workouts thanks to iFit and the overall build quality is good. If you're looking for an exercise bike with interactive training then this a very solid choice and one we're happy to recommend. If interactive training is not high on your agenda then we'd recommend either saving yourself a fair few pounds and checking out the DKN EB-2400i or spending a bit extra on the DKN EMB-600 instead. You still get some very basic interactive training on both alternatives (nothing on the scale of iFit), but you also get a seriously heavy flywheel (14kg & 16kg respectively) that delivers a butter-smooth ride and you benefit from EMS braking systems that are faster, have a higher top-end resistance level, and are more reliable than the standard type of braking system employed on the GX4.6 Pro.
NordicTrack GX 4.6 Pro Specifications
- Effective Inertia 11kg (24.3lbs) flywheel
- 24 levels of digital Silent Magnetic Resistance with OneTouch™ Controls
- 7″ full colour capacitive touch display
- Console Feedback: Calories, distance, pulse, resistance, RPM, speed, time, Watts
- Programmes: Manual mode, access to 50+ video workouts and a daily updated map-based workout
- Heart Rate Measurement: EKG pulse grip sensors + Bluetooth® smart wireless receiver (chest strap included)
- iFit® Coach Enabled (1-year Family membership included)
- Ergonomic pedals feature adjustable straps for stability during the ride
- Oversized seat with supreme comfort through the possibility of moving the seat horizontally and vertically
- Autobreeze workout fan
- Conveniences: Integrated tablet holder, bottle holder, transportation wheels, music port (sound system with 2 x 2” speakers)
- Max. user weight: 147kg (324lbs)
- Weight: 47kg (103.6lbs)
- Dimensions in use (L x W x H): 110.7cm (43.6”) x 63.2cm (24.9”) x 150.8cm (59.4”)
- Warranty: 5 years frame, 2 years parts and labour (if registered within 28 days of purchase)
NordicTrack GX 4.6 Pro Exercise Bike - Console / Display Unit
NordicTrack GX 4.6 Pro Exercise Bike - User Reviews
- Easy to use, feature rich console
- Excellent ergonomics
- Large, well-padded seat
- An almost ridiculous amount of training options thanks to the inclusion of a 12 month family membership of iFit Coach
- High maximum resistance level
- You absolutely MUST have a GOOD WiFi internet connection - though given what you get as a result it's hard to be too critical of this requirement
Currently available for £899.00 from NordicTrack
Also see our Exercise Bike Comparison Table
Whilst every effort is made to give you accurate information we cannot guarantee the technical specification. Models change on a regular basis and may differ slightly from the above review. We recommend you contact the retailer if you have a question regarding technical data. Please read our Legal Disclaimer